Sex Education

Ashton - Hazard, Kentucky

I believe that sex education should be a required class in all high schools. Rather it be a month long course, a semester long course or a year long course, it needs to be in high schools. Most high schools offer some sort of sex ed class; however it is optional and some can only be taken if the students have parental consent.

A sex ed class will teach the students how to say no in difficult situations pertaining to sex. Say a girl and a boy are talking at a party when the boy asks the girl to go upstairs. He explains that having sex is the cool thing to do. The girl really doesn’t want to go upstairs, but she doesn’t know how to handle the situation. Sex ed classes have mock situations like these to teach students how to handle situations like this.

A sex ed class will teach students about the repercussions of sex. Most teenagers don’t consider the risks of sex, or they are not completely aware of them. Of course girls know they can get pregnant, but most do not know that they can get pregnant even if they are using birth control. Many teenagers do not think to ask if their sexual partner has been tested for sexually transmitted diseases and how important it is to do this. Many students are not even aware of STD’s and how they are transferred.

Many teenagers will have unprotected sex because they are too afraid to get birth control. They are afraid of what people will think of them if they go to a store and purchase condoms. What if they see someone they know? What if they see one of their parents’ friends and the friend tells their parents they are sexually active? Girls are afraid to tell their mom they need birth control pills because they don’t want their mom to know they are ready to become sexually active. They are afraid their mom will get mad at them, ask them embarrassing questions, or maybe have an embarrassing conversation with them. The class will teach the students how to feel comfortable buying condoms, that is perfectly fine to buy them and even if someone does judge them for it, they shouldn’t care because they are taking precautions when it comes to sex. It will also teach girls ways to approach their mothers about birth control pills. The class can also mention that there are public health departments that will supply birth control methods in confidence.

My sister is 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I don’t want my sister to begin thinking that having sex and getting pregnant at her age is acceptable. I want her to learn about sex and how risky it can be.

I know that a sex ed class will not keep teenagers from engaging in sexual activities, but it will help prevent pregnancies and the spreading of sexually transmitted diseases.