Jasmine - Harrisonburg, Virginia

“This I Believe”

He is untouchable to man and greater than any man that ever walked the earth. He was nailed to the cross and died for our sins. The man that I believe in is God! Needless to say, I did not always know about him and I definitely had my doubts about him. Who would have thought that one day my doubts would be erased?

I grew up in a church going family, I hardly missed a Sunday. As a child I did not know what the preacher was talking about. All I knew was when he said something that everyone liked they shouted; Amen! At the end of the sermon always had a million questions for my grandma such as: How do you know that he is real and how does someone die and then come back to life? I was so confused! She would say; One day you will know, something is going to assure you that he is real as long as you believe.

I had gotten older, still going to church, and still had that little piece of doubt about God. Something happened to me that I never would have imagined. I had fallen asleep at a friend’s house and suddenly woke up. I knew that I had to get home because my curfew was approaching and I did not want to get into any trouble. As I was driving down the road I fell asleep behind the wheel. While I was sleeping, I managed to drive into a ditch and come up across a drive way. I woke up when I was flying in the air in between two signs. My first instinct was to get my seatbelt off as quickly as possible. Thank god I was in shock and could not take my hands off of the wheel. I flipped in the air and landed upside down.

As soon as I landed there was a boy pulling at my locked door with all his might. He finally got the door open and helped me out. As I got out looked at the car and started to cry. He gave me a hug and said that everything would be alright. I looked at him and said thanks for helping me but my car. I started to cry even harder. Not because I was in pain or anything but because my car was a total loss. I heard someone yelling as they were running towards me. It was my cousin who was driving behind me the whole time and saw the accident happen. I sat in her car while I was waiting for the ambulance to arrive. I believe in god because I walked out of the hospital with nothing but whip-lash and bruises on my legs.

I believed that god sent an angel down to help me. I never saw that boy again. My car was smashed in, and glass was everywhere. I believe in god because almost everything inside the car was still intact; my seats, my phone and glasses were not broken, and the rear view mirror was still in place. This experience made all doubt that I had go away.