Writing Composition

Brendan - Dillon, Montana

Now, what comes to mind when the words writing composition come to mind, many people think that it is a boring class that you sit in and write essays and learn proper grammar. This is not the case, but actually the way that I believe is writing, in much like music, is composed. Being a musician for eighteen years of my life, I have grown an appreciation for those that can do something that I cannot. Mozart, Beethoven, and many other composers have gone and created a story but instead of words they use notes, key signatures, tempos’, crescendos’, and de crescendos’. Music can tell a story without and words and yet somehow they still seem to come across.

Now, enough about music, this is after all an essay on writing. But, the point that I am trying to make is that writing composition is much like musical composition. An author can set the tone, quicken or slow the pace, and then completely change the story. We, as writers, can create the same thing that any artist can. Pages are our blank canvases and our words are our brush. We can paint the sky purple, the earth pink, and have words be our music. There is no limit on how far a writer can go. We can go to far off planets and can achieve the inhumanly possible. We can even express emotion that we would have never even thought of sharing with another person. For with our words, they become stories of happiness, pain, sorrow, joy, and even love.

For me, as a writer and a musician, this presents an opportunity to take both talents and meld them into one. If music is the language of my soul, then the composition of my writing is the voice in which that language is spoken. And because of this my written words become a translator, which I am very glad for and believe in.