I believe that being your self is important

Katelyn - Seattle, Washington

When my little sister and the rest of my family went to visit my grandparents, my grandma said something that shocked me. She looked at my little sister and said “I will not consider nor claim you as my granddaughter until you wash that crap out!” She was talking about my sisters hair. Just days before, she had dyed it blue. My name is Katelyn Fischer and I believe that being yourself and making your own choices is important.

The world today is accepting of all types of things and people that were considered weird, stupid, different, hellish and disgraceful only a matter of a few years ago. Things like wacky pink hair, tattoos covering bodies, facial piercings and certain types of music. Today I can walk the hallways of my school and see people with their lips and eyebrows pierced. I also see many people with dyed hair. And today, nobody really thinks twice about it, we just accept.

Being yourself and doing what you feel is right or cool may make you stand out, but at least then your not hiding behind a mask of someone your not. However, just because some people think blue hair is cool, that doesnt mean that everyone should or has to accept and agree with you, like my grandmother. But I am glad to say that my sister didnt back down, she still has her blue hair, despite my grandma’s threats.

I know that I dont just express myself throught the way I dress and look everyday. I also express myself through the music i listen to. For example I know that my dad and I have very different music choices. He likes classical and I like everything inbetween. But because our music is part of what makes us, us, we dont complain about the differences. There are so many other ways that people can express themselves. I think that no matter how crazy and weird it may be, you should always let your true colors shine through. Being an individual is freedom. Being free is being able to express yourself. In conclusion I believe the key to life is being yourself.