The Curious Nature Within

Melody - Cullowhee, North Carolina

I believe in curiosity. I believe that each human in this world contains an inquisitive nature about them. It’s not a probing or nosy temperament, just a since of wonder that makes up their spirit. As a child my curiosity would get the better of me and I would begin to imagine all the possibilities. Albert Einstein once said, “It’s a miracle that curiosity survives formal education” and I believe that is true.

Curiosity is the makeup of a child; it is how they learn about the world around them and why they are so inquisitive when they are young. While babysitting one of my favorites, young Katie, I experienced a moment that most parents and babysitters relate to. Katie was at the phase where she continually asked me why for no less than an hour.

“Why can’t we watch T.V.?”

“Because we’ve already watched some and you don’t need to sit in front of the T.V. all day.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s not good for you.”

“Why?”

“Because it can hurt your eyes and you need physical exercise.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s healthy for you.”

Rather than get upset with her I submitted to her curious nature and answered her questions until she tired herself out and went away to play. Without curiosity we are not human and as it is human nature to be curious, it is the curious nature that keeps us entertained, just as I entertained young Katie.

Curiosity is more than just a sense of wonder, it is the makeup of one’s self. How would we as a human race be able to find and explore the world around us if it were not for curiosity? In furthering that thought, it was Columbus’ curiosity that led him to cross the ocean to the America’s and our curiosity of what existed outside our planet that led us to land on the moon. The urge to learn and understand the world around us enables us to ask questions and implores us to search for the answers.

It is the urge to know what we do not, the urge to explore and understand the unknown. We desire as humans to learn and to know everything. Is it a primal impulse or an inclination to gain knowledge of what we do not comprehend? Maybe it is a strive to be more like God, to know what the all powerful and mighty knows, then again, it may be a small attempt to develop divinity within ourselves. We can only have theories and accept the fact that it is just human nature to be curious.

In attempting to understand, I feel that I have many points to share and many angles to come from, however my bases remains the same. Curiosity is the make up and spirit that every human contains deep within there very being. It is the inquisitive nature and sense of curiosity that provides us a since of wonder that causes the human race both adult and child to ask questions to learn about the world around them.