I Believe in Letting Go

Brittany - Cullowhee, North Carolina

I believe in letting go, not just of your fears, but of your emotions, and even your entire world. Everyone needs to let go at least once in their life.

I got my first horse when I was eleven years old; I only had him for a year before I sold him and bought my current horse, Smokey. I immediately fell in love with him and spent every waking minute that I could riding, brushing, or just spending time talking to him. He was, and still is, an inspiration and sometimes a therapist for me.

I’m in my first year of college, and being a full-time student is extremely stressful. I’m a pre-veterinary/biology major, so I have a rigorous schedule with little time to myself. I’m taking extra hours and doing honors as well, so I seem to be constantly swarmed with work. I love to push myself, but sometimes I feel so overwhelmed that all I want to do is just sit in my room and cry and think about other careers I could have chosen. All I have to do is look at one of my many pictures of my horse and I that sit on my desk and realize that I was meant to be an equine veterinarian.

Thankfully, I am close enough to home that I was able to keep my horse where he is at and keep my job. I go home every weekend to ride him and to work to help pay his board. If it wasn’t for this, I’m sure I would have all ready have lost my mind. I let go of everything on the weekends. Smokey and I have a partnership that I fear can never be duplicated, so I always make the most of our time together. All my stress and worry seems to go away when I get on my Appaloosa. I clear my mind of everything that has ever bothered me when I ride. I have a connection with my horse; he understands me. He does not judge me in any way, so when I’m on his back I have no thoughts except for the perfect rhythm of his stride as his feet hit the ground. When I do occasionally hit the ground, it doesn’t scare me or make me never want to ride again, in fact, it makes me want to ride more. It reminds me of how human I am and that I am vulnerable, but everything will work out. I truly have no fear when I’m on Smokey. I have over 300 acres at my disposal, and I love the feeling of galloping through tall grass bareback with just my horse on my mind. I believe in letting go .