I Believe in Making Mistakes

Jessica - Cullowhee, North Carolina

This I Believe: I Believe in Making Mistakes

When I was eleven I decided that I wanted to go roller skating, but all day my mother wanted me to take my dog for a walk. I made up my mind to do both simultaneously. It didn’t sound fun, but it would get both things done at once. It was a huge mistake. I remember walking into the house with bloody knees and elbows explaining to my mother that the dog was faster than me. Still, had I not made this mistake, I would not have learned what I had from this experience. The lessons I learned include wearing elbow and knee pads is smart, don’t walk the dog and roller blade simultaneously, and most importantly, if I’m going to get hurt doing something, I should enjoy what I’m doing. Most people view mistakes as bad things that stupid, careless people make. I disagree. If people never made mistakes they would never learn and I enjoy learning. Therefore, I believe in making mistakes.

It may come as a shock, but people make mistakes. I believe everything takes practice; you try, you fail, I’ll make mistakes along the way but I’m content with that. Most people are unwilling to admit their mistakes but I feel that the more I embrace them the more I learn from them. I think that the more errors people make the more willing they will be to admit that everyone is more alike than expected. I believe that if more people realized how many of the same errors we make more opportunities to understand each other would present themselves. Mistakes are not bad things, they are just temporary set backs and what really matters is the way we handle them. Some people get angry at their mistakes others get sad. Very few see them as opportunities to learn.

Oscar Wilde said, “Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one’s mistakes” It makes me realize mistakes are what make me who I am. Had I not learned from my mistakes and moved on, I would not be the mature, funny, serious, loving person I am today. I find it amusing to look back and laugh at some of the rather unintelligent mistakes I’ve made. Instead of trying to cover them up, I embrace and learn from them.

Mistakes are imperfections that everyone has to face daily. Those who claim to never fail have obviously never tried to do anything. Eventually all of the mistakes that I’ve made will lead me to a luminescent view of success. The more errors I make on my adventure to success, the brighter it will be when I get there. The more failures I have, the more worth while the end result will be. My mistakes have made me who I am today and I would not change that for the world.