Once an Enemy, Now a Friend

Nicholas - Westborough, Massachusetts
Themes: family, setbacks

At the age of six, divorce was my enemy. Its existence in this world had torn my image of a perfect family away from me. To me divorce was somewhat of a tall tale, something that only happened to families that weren’t happy and who didn’t have kids my age. Divorce was the mechanism that would supposedly take away any hopes for happiness in my early childhood. Today I have a very different opinion about divorce. Today I can honestly say that I believe in divorce. I believe in the institution that broke apart my family as a child, but pieced together who I would be as a man.

Divorce was my enemy. Can an event such as divorce really be your enemy? At six years old, I could not agree with the previous statement more. Divorce meant change. Divorce meant a new type of Christmas, a new type of thanksgiving, a new type of family. It meant that I would see less of my mother, and less of my father as I split time equally between the two. I would have to divide all of my possessions as well as all my feelings as “Mom” and “Dad” truly became two separate things. This new sense of reality was my enemy; divorce.

As I grew up and matured, my rational did too. Without the divorce, I would have grown up in a home where my two parents constantly fought, and a peaceful environment in which to live would hardly be commonplace. The divorce of my parents removed their constant fights from my sight, and it provided me with parents who focused only on their love for me, and not their anger for one another. Divorce changed a lot for me, but for the better. Divorce was my friend.

This newfound sense of reality gave me a unique outlook on my life. Normally, I would have been at the age when kids relied heavily upon their parent’s ideas in order to formulate their own. It was hard for me to do this when I only spent half the week with each of them. I adapted by becoming an independent thinker early on and I believe that it helped me to mature as a person quicker than was to be expected. This behavior gave birth to my independence from which my maturity derives from. I learned about responsibility, self reliance, and self confidence at a very early age, and I have found them to be great assets in molding the person that I am today. I am proud of what I have accomplished and of the person that I have become. Divorce has truly given me more than it has taken away. Divorce led me from a failing family structure to a successful man. The maturity and the independence that I have gained from my parent’s divorce gave me the tools and the traits that I needed in order to achieve throughout my life so far. Divorce is my friend.