Is marriage really meant for forever?

Elizabeth - Harrisonburg, Virginia

Is Marriage Really Meant for Forever?

My parents divorced when I was eight years old. I have lived with my mother and my older sister ever since I can remember. I have never known anything different. The days with my father in the house are a blur. I was too young to remember much of anything, except that at an early age I knew that I needed to try to understand that my parents simply did not belong together.

I love my mom and my dad equally and do not blame them at all for separating from each other. I personally, believe in divorce. My parents met at an early age and fell in love. As their lives went on, they grew apart and fell out of love. We are all human and I do not believe that we ever stop growing. We continue to develop with every new experience and sometimes we out grow relationships.

A lot of people assume that divorce is the easy way out. I believe that in some situations there is no way out. Who are we to judge why others’ marriages fall apart? Marriage is a term that is supposed to mean forever, and I think for a lot of people that is an extremely scary thought. On average, we live to be about 75 or 80. When marriage was first created, humans only lived to be about 40 years old. This was a reasonable amount of time to be able to spend the rest of your life with someone. I am not saying that it is impossible to stay married forever; there is proof that people can stay married and stay happy, I am only saying that I do not think that it should be looked down upon when people decide they need a way out.

When my mother told me that she was initiating a divorce with my father I had no idea what she was talking about. As an eight-year-old girl looking up into my mother’s eyes with tears streaming down her cheeks, I was very confused. All I knew was that my mother was sad and I needed to do what I could to make her feel better. I hugged her and she smiled and I assumed everything was okay. As I grew up, I realized everything was and is okay. I am grateful for the right to divorce. I can see now that my parents did not make a mistake; for a while they made each other very happy, but as they each grew as adults they no longer had the ability to love each other.

Each of my parents is very happy now. I grew up in a loving home and had a wonderful childhood. I love my parents very much and respect their decision to end their marriage. My parents did what they needed to do to keep themselves happy and I love them dearly for it.