The Power of Writing

Judd - Charlo, Montana

I am a firm believer that in this day and age, writing is one of the most important parts of the curriculum taught in schools. Writing can be used for many different things. Many people use writing as a way to express oneself, or to express dissatisfaction to an organization.

Writing has helped me in a tremendous way. My first college class was an English 102 class. I’m not going to lie, my first thoughts and feelings were a little skeptical. I wondered how much an English writing class would really help me. I knew it would help, but I didn’t think it would help a whole lot.

After completing this course I now have a completely now confidence in what I am able to do with pen and paper. I know I still have a long way to go before I am even a decent writer, but I know now that these college writing classes definitely have an impact upon the students.

Throughout high school I was always a mediocre student whenever it came to writing assignments. I would always just barely get the passing grade, just for the fact of the matter I didn’t think that writing was very important unless I was going to be an author or newspaper columnist.

Now I can see how writing has helped me excel in many different aspects. I can understand the writing process better now. I have a newfound respect for writers. I have found a new respect in myself as a writer. I have found respect in something that seemed pointless to me before.

Being able to write well can help one tremendously. One can reach new limits without improving on anything but how they write. One can express themselves more clearly using fewer words, or elaborate on a subject to help others understand more.

I believe that writing can accomplish more than people understand. Writing can persuade, threaten, instill, compliment, console, and make the reader feel a number of different emotions and feelings. I believe writers deserve a lot more respect than they are given, and I believe that writing should be taught at younger ages.