Be Yourself and No One Else

Kathryn - Loomis, California

I believe that what you think of yourself matters most. We should all carry pride within ourselves and withhold it strong enough that others will not tear it down.

Many people will alter their everyday decisions because of what they think everybody else will say about them. They might not wear a shirt that they really like because they are afraid that somebody else might not like it. We should not hold ourselves back from being ourselves in fear of someone else’s opinion.

I have been a cheerleader for almost five years now and in most of that time I was learning how to push away the slurs that were tearing us down. My freshman year of cheerleading we had a tough year. Our squad started with thirty-five girls and ended with just nine. That season was the start of rebuilding self-esteem and confidence within our team. We had eleven girls the year after that. We were continuously decreasing the respect we had from the school year after year.

Finally, mid-way through my second year of cheering at Del Oro, I realized that it does not matter what the audience thinks of us because we all know that we work hard and have fun doing it together.

It is a work-in-progress to have all of the girls on our squad believe in this but we will be so much better off when we do. It is hard to acquire this attitude through the tough atmosphere when we cheer, but knowing that we work so hard and have so much fun together will fight off the negative comments put toward us.

Although our squad may not have the amount of respect from the school that we want, I still

trust that what I think of myself and our squad is much more important than what the audience thinks.

Now, after four years of cheering I have learned that what I think of myself is what matters the most. When I get out on the court or the field I disregard what other people are saying because I know how hard we have worked.

I think that many people do not understand how to use this method. We will be much better off as individuals if we just overlook the thoughts of others. To me, this is vital in living my life because I would like to be satisfied with who I am.

This statement is true for everybody. We all need to believe that it does not matter what other people think about you; as long as you think greatly of yourself. This is why I believe that what I think of myself is what matters most.