I Believe in Laughing

Justine - Harrisonburg, Virginia

Merriam- Webster defines laughing as, “to be of a kind that inspires joy.” At times when you feel low, the best thing to do is laugh! I believe in laughing; the best cure for a heartache. These past few years, I have been hit the hardest with knowledge of my mother being diagnosed with cancer. It has been a rough journey, but my mom knows how to make the most of it. It seems as if my family always wants to have a good time no matter how challenging the cancer may be. Many people look at me in sympathy, but I look at my mom as an inspiration.

My mom is always the one cracking jokes; she seems like she makes the best of her illness, and she never shows anyone that she is in pain. She seems to always worry about others rather than herself. She knows how to put a smile on anyones face, no matter how upset you may be; she can always get someone to laugh. When people find out about my mother being sick, they tend to cry and become upset, but my mother somehow finds a way to make them laugh, and to let them know that she is okay. Making people laugh is her specialty and it really shows she is in good spirit! Each day I try to make someone laugh, hoping to affect their day.

To me, laughing makes everything more enjoyable and it is a big stress reliever. I think laughing can really make a difference in someone’s life. Although some people enjoy laughing, they may not believe that laughing can be a cure and can really change someone’s outlook. I believe that laughing can make every person happier. So if ever you feel down, watch something funny, laugh, and inspire joy in the lives of others and in yours!