At First

Charles - Kalispell, Montana

At first writing was a hassle. Writing was something that scared me. I hated writing and everything about it. I don’t know many big words or how to describe things very well. I would always stress about every assignment I had because I would have troubles thinking of the topics to write about. As I progressed through my foundations of language class, one thing I learned is how to pick topics. It is a little easier to pick topics to write about. Something not too big and talked about but not too small that you can’t find any information about it.

I believe I am a more developed writer now. I can critically read and analyze a little better than I could before. Analyzing texts still isn’t very easy for me but I have learned to paraphrase it and skim through it a lot better. I still don’t like to write about topics I don’t think are very interesting. Often topics that I have to research about or don’t know much information about are not very interesting to me. Writing about subjects I don’t like to write about is one thing that is one thing I will have to learn to fight through.

I believe everyone can be a good writer. My first thoughts of writing were that everybody that was a good writer had to be very smart and usually a book worm. I can see now that the average Joe can be a good writer. Practice. Practice makes perfect. Write every day. Write to say how you feel, to say how your day went, to say how your family is doing, even to someone or something that isn’t real! Write about something you know a lot about and is easy to describe.

I believe creative helps immensely as a writer. I have a good imagination so writing about nonfiction topics comes easy. Creativity is also a big part of being a good writer. Being creative helps me in every aspect of writing. I am fairly creative so that helps as well. Knowing the foundations of language helped me become a better writer.