Laugh A Little

Stephanie - seattle, Washington

Did you know that by laughing more frequently you will have a healthier life style? Studies show that with more laughter you will have an improved memory, a stronger immune system, and a longer life expectancy. Hello my name is Stephanie Morey and I believe laughter is the cure for any stressful situation.

The last words I stubbornly said to my cousin were I hate you. He refused to spend a full night playing videogames with me at my sister’s house. I couldn’t enjoy my 1UP mushroom for Mario because I was so bitter at him. Nothing was amusing me. Suddenly, a blurred image came screeching to a halt in front of me, it was my own sister, uncontrollably balling her eyes out, demanding me to get into the damn car. She explained to me my cousin was rushed to the emergency room from a brain aneurism and he needed surgery right away.

My night was spent counting down the minutes and wondering what the word, “hate,” truly means. The next morning I had a chance to see my cousin. My heart was pounding a 1,000 beats per minute and my face felt really hot. A curtain was separating us. Nothing could’ve prepared me for what I was about to see. He laid there, connected to so many wires; his head was shaved, which revealed the stitch marks from his surgery and a white pillow at his side. I kept telling myself don’t cry Stephanie, don’t cry, remember you can’t raise his blood pressure. I made eye contact with him but he immediately covered his face. I thought just say something Stephanie; at least what’s up or a hello. “I like what you’ve done to your hair; it brings out your features, like your tan complexion.” Did I really just say that? The pillow was removed from his face and exposing his ear to ear grin. My immediate reaction was to laugh, and then the awkwardness was gone, not even realizing we were in a hospital room. Even though, he was unable to speak or move his left side, I knew I got some laughs out of him.

A simple laugh or even a smile will always wash your worries away. You don’t always need to know the right thing to say, but as long as you remain positive, the laughter will come soon enough. I learned my lesson the hard way. So go ahead and laugh a little, it doesn’t hurt to try.