Robert - Columbia, South Carolina

This I believe…… Change

The Oxford English dictionary best defines the word change as a noun and or verb meaning “to make or become different; exchange as another (verb usage) and the action of changing; an instance of becoming different (noun usage)”. Barak Obama’s popular slogan “It’s time for change” used in the presidential election makes me actually wonder if America is ready to accept change. From past experiences America has moved at a slow pace when it comes to change, and now that there maybe a black president, are Americans going to see this as a change for the better or worse? Will it take them a while to accept the notion that an African American man may be the nations leader?

This I believe to be true- that America is ready for a change. Why? Because they are tired of a war that has brought nothing but sorrow and death. We the people were under the belief that we were going to war to retrieve weapons of mass destruction, but still we have yet to find any. The rising price of oil is yet another factor that plays in the equation of why America is ready for a change. With an economy steadily spiraling downward, it is hard to say any one wouldn’t want change. Obama, I feel, has come to the stand and is the image of change. He represents the people sincerely with his charismatic impressions and beliefs. He is a black man running for president. If that is not a change from the America “norm”, whereas it has been traditionally white men running for president, I don’t know what is. America is ready for change.

Historically, when it has come to the advancement of people’s civil rights, America has not moved with a hastening foot but yet rather to a slow beat. America knew that it was time for change but wasn’t willing to accept it. It took for tragic events for the America people to realize that it was time for a change. For example on May 17, 1954, in Brown vs. Board of education, where the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that segregated education was unconstitutional. It took this case for America to realize that there should be equally education. America slowly, but surely, accepted the change over time.

I believe that the change that Barak Obama will bring forth will be for the good and bad. He will be the United States first black president. If Obama becomes president he would be moving into a political office that has already been tainted and driven into the ground by George Bush. America may have to go through somewhat of a clean-up struggle to get back onto the right path, which means Obama will have to come in and clean up the mess that Bush made while he was president. The American people need to allow Obama time to make those necessary changes.

In conclusion, I believe that this country was built with the sweat and the whip off of black slaves’ backs and now a descendent of those slaves has a chance to lead the same country. That descent is Barak Obama. I am going to vote for Obama. But it’s not because he’s a black man, but because he represents hope. He is change and now he has allowed me to tell my future kids of America that they too can become the next president.