I Believe

Carly - Minnetonka, Minnesota
Themes: equality

“Gay, straight, bi? What is up with these labels? Whatever you are; it shouldn’t matter. I think G-d is a little too busy to worry over which two people love each other. You should just be able to be happy,” was just something I heard one evening. I didn’t think too much of it at the time. It was one Friday night that I had decided to stay home. Sitting on my basement couch, and gorging on unnecessary junk food, I had been flipping through TV channels excessively trying to find something to hold my attention for the next few minutes until I lost interest and began my search for entertainment again. I landed on a channel I didn’t usually watch, and was immediately hooked on the program playing in front of me. It was obviously not the beginning of the story, but I continued to watch to see what would ensue. Every week I would await and anticipate the next part of my newly found favorite show, South of Nowhere, to see what would be in store. The show’s main theme is about freedom and discrimination on different societies, mainly the gay community.

After watching every episode of the series, I began to think back to the first part of the show I had ever seen; the line specifically saying love is a special thing. If you are finally lucky enough to find it with someone that means so much to you, why should it matter who it’s with? I was unexpectantly overwhelmed with thoughts of rage, disturbance that people can’t except this, but most of all, shame. I believe that discrimination against someone because of their sexual orientation should not be tolerated. It is a disgrace to me that even though our country strives for equality, we can’t seem to put our differences aside and respect one another for the great people that we are. What happened to the Golden Rule saying, “Treat others the way you want to be treated?” Even though this is overly repeated, it is completely legitimate. We are teaching children this almost everyday, yet not abiding by our own rules. I think we need to place ourselves in other people’s shoes. Does discrimination really have a positive and encouraging affect on people’s confidence and outlook on life? If I were in this position, I would not like to be thought of as inferior just because others who decide to judge me might classify me in a category where being myself is considered wrong. Why do some not seem to realize that freedom of beliefs, the First Amendment, does not only pertain to them and what they approve of, but to everybody? Whether you are black, white, or Muslim; whether you are Jewish, a man, or a woman; whether you believe in Jesus Christ, G-d, or some kind of greater power, or even if you don’t; whether you are a heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual, you are still an amazing human being and that’s all that should matter.

None of these unimportant details should make you like someone any less, but most importantly, not make you treat them with any less respect than they deserve. We should not deny anybody of their natural right to freedom, success, love, or anything else. It is cruel to treat others like this, and ignorant of people to let this problem persist. I believe we should stand up for those who need a tiny bit of help doing it for themselves. I believe we should no longer make negative judgments about other people based off of preconceived notions or before we get to know them for who they are because it makes us feel superior. I believe we can make a change to better the community and every single person living in it by not discriminating against sexual orientation.