Living Faith

Christina - Leesburg, Virginia

Faith. Faith is having confidence or trust in a person or thing. It is a noun. It’s not something you can touch or feel, but you know it is there. More often than not, one’s life gets pulled into whatever direction “faith” takes it. I believe in faith. I believe in the power having faith holds. The word faith doesn’t automatically mean I’m referring to God. One can have faith in many things. My faith does however lie foremost in God and my family.

My grandmother’s name is Lillie Belle Moyer. She gave birth to twelve beautiful and healthy children. That’s faith at its best. With harsh times financially always upon them, the faith her and my grandfather had was immense. My grandfather is James Moses Moyer. He built the small six room house that he and my grandmother still reside in today. He is blind now, and has been for close to 50 years. Again, faith. My grandfather saw the potential that his family would have. He saw that despite the hardships, his family was going to prosper and his children would be educated. He saw all of this, and these weren’t things that his failing eye-sight, that is now nothing more than a cloudy darkness, could show him. He saw this through his faith, a belief that has been passed down throughout the generations of my family. It brings us together during the bad times when there is sickness or death in our family, and it makes our bond stronger through the good, such as marriages and yearly births.

July 2008. A month I will never forget. As I lay in my bed, I heard a knock at my door. It was my father. His mouth began to move and the sounds that came out translated in my head as the dreaded, “I have something to tell you.” The only other time I had heard my father speak these words was when his father, my grandpa Ben passed away from cancer. He sat down next to me and began to tell me how he had gone to a doctor and they had diagnosed him with prostate cancer. I sat there continuing to stare at my TV as if I hadn’t just heard his lips utter those words. I kind of shrugged it off, but deep down I knew it was because I knew he wouldn’t be faced with this cancer for long. My faith in God told me so. I knew my father would be healed, and after a two-hour surgery, the results were positive. He is now cancer free. Although he’s still not back at work yet, just being able to get out and drive makes him excited. I’ve heard the great quote, “if you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything.” Today I’m standing for faith, and I challenge you to see where your faith lay. You may not know it, but faith plays a role in your actions and how you think every single day.