My Mother: The Wind Beneath My Wings

Fatima - Casa Grande, Arizona
Themes: family, gratitude

What brings back those good memories about your childhood and teenage years? There are so many special moments, right? The laughter, playing around the house, being with your family and much more that makes your heart smile just by thinking back. Yet, on the other hand, there’s also those bad experiences that stay with you and haunt you for the rest of your life. The data that you wished never to have stored in your hard drive… the undeletable files that can’t be changed nor removed. As a child, the special persons whom God blessed us to call “Mothers” are like the smart computer techs that know exactly what is wrong with our PCU’s, and fix the problems in a blink of an eye. I believe a Mother is able to remove the black, slimy virus from your system and the one able to download the love, and care as well as the hugs, and kisses needed to overcome the struggles destined to you in life.

Having a good, loving and caring mother helped me become the woman, mother and wife I am today. She has always been there every step of the way teaching me, walking beside of me and directing me with her advice which path to take. Just like the song, I believe my mother is “The Wind Beneath my Wings”.1 because without her my life would have probably been very miserable.

Growing up and becoming a young lady at home was not easy. Not to mention being an only child with parents as different as day and night. My father, because of his culture and personal beliefs and the way he was brought up always had trouble showing affection. He was extremely protective and just over the limit too strict! He believed that a woman’s only place was at home taking care of the kids and her husband when he came home from work. My Mother on the other hand, constantly showed her love and affection towards me and insisted that education was the key to succeeding in life. “Being someone in life” she would say to me, “will be rewarding, you’ll see. Just stay in school and DON’T give up!”

My mother always tried to comfort me and made it a point to help me ignore and block in my head my dad’s negative ways of seeing things. There is not one day in my life, that I can think of, that my mother didn’t hugged me, kissed me or told me how much she loved me! I can say that she was the reason why I didn’t go crazy and run away from home when it crossed my mind. She would talk to me and talk to me over and over again about the bad things that could happen and how it would make things worse if I were to do something stupid (I tell you mothers are psychics).

I cannot tell you how many times she and I cried in my room at night. That right there was the biggest thing for me. My mother had already suffered so much in life, I was not going to break her heart listening to my dad’s killer remarks of “See, I told you she was no good!” I was not going to do that to her and I was going to prove my dad wrong.

My mother is my role model. Even though she didn’t finish Elementary School, she was and still is a very smart lady. Wise words and kind advice would always come out of her mouth. She might have not been “book smart” but what life taught her was more than enough. She was smart enough to know how to handle my father’s personality and use that to her advantage…with him not even noticing.

Always with a smile on her face and never being upset…or at least never showed it to anyone! She did not let minor things get thru to her and have an effect on her attitude outside of home. I always saw that as amazing! I used to get upset for her and me both! She would also emphasize, though not as much as my father, that I eventually needed to learn how to cook, and do all the chores around the house. “Sooner or later, and as much as I would like for it to be later,” she would say, “You are going to get married, and I don’t want your husband stating that I never taught you anything around the house”. “Trust me” she continued “they always have something bad to say about the mother-in-laws!”

Nowadays, I am married and have three kids. I’m in school, work, and find the way to be a good wife to my husband and a good mother to my kids. I believe the last two are the most challenging and difficult roles I have as a woman. It amazes me how much is expected from us a mothers and housewives.

I definitely believe that it’s the hardest job in the world. As a child you are taught (from viewing your grandmother, aunts, and mother, etc.) that you must serve your husband, be a good mother and a role model to them. You must be a good cook, be able to clean the house, and act as a doctor sometimes; you are a caregiver. One must have dinner ready by the time your husband gets back from work tired and clean the house since it is your responsibility. Fix breakfast for the kids and get them ready for school. From doing laundry, ironing, cleaning the house, doing the needed errands it never stops! Doing a million and one things and yet not being appreciated the way a mother, woman should be.

What I experienced growing up made me who I am today. I owe it all to my mother because she encouraged me to study and know the importance of being educated in life. Thanks to her love I didn’t do something that I could have regretted sooner or later. Also, teaching me the importance of a family and its duties.

I do have to mention that I am also grateful for what my father taught me, in his own way of seeing things. He probably didn’t know a better way of letting me know that life wasn’t easy and therefore you have to be prepared for the most difficult role a woman has: Being married and raising kids no matter, how smart you are. I’m sure that he loves me; the only problem is that he does not know how to express his feelings.

I believe that things happen for a reason. God is very knowledgeable. He gives us each a mission to accomplish in life. He gave me my dad to learn from him and to love him because he needs lots and lots of love; he also gave me someone to love, to make me strong; to show me the right path, and specially to praise for as she is a fallen angel from his sky.

Thank you God for this blessing…My Mother.