The Soundtrack of Hope

Archie - Casa Grande, Arizona

“But I Believe in Music…

The Way some People Believe in Fairy Tales ~August Rush~

Have you ever listened to a musician play when no one’s around? When the only person who they want to hear the notes, are themselves? It’s a sound where every quivering note from a guitar can sound like a small child shivering in a corner in an empty apartment or all the notes on a piano are like the rain falling down on your face. Not many hear this sound because it was never meant to be heard by others. Like a diary music is our emotion, our escape, our pain, and our hope…

I Believe…

Music is our Hope,

That Everything will be okay…

I remember a conversation I had with my Best Friend during a Religious Mission trip up in Northern Arizona. You could still feel the remains of winter in the breeze this morning right before the sunrise. We decided to climb the tallest mountain next to our camp to see the beautiful sunrise that Arizona is rumored to have. With nothing but our guitars strapped to our backs, we climbed up that rocky mountain using the wild plant life as grips and footing to not plummet to a rather painful fall. When we finally reached the top we both sat down and you could see the tip the sun just starting to tinge the fading purple sky with a tinge of orange. I remember this scene so well because when I turned to look at my friend, the glow of the sun was just enough for me to see the tears growing in his eyes.

The sound of his voice never really left me, cracking and shaky. I listened to him talk about all the things that were hurting him. How much his girlfriend hurt him, how much he believed he was good enough for her, how much her parents even reinforced that same

belief. All the things that was hurting me, but I was too afraid to ever admit it to anyone. I

was always held by the belief that, “Everything will be okay in the end, If it’s not okay then it’s not the end,” but there wasn’t away to make him believe that just by talking to him. I knew he was in love with music just as much as I am. He believed in Music.

So many musicians say what they really mean to say with music. They play their pains, happiness, how much in love they are in with the notes of their instruments. When a musician plays, they are saying so much if we only just listen to them. They’re letting it all out they way other people talk about it, because we need to get it off our chest. It brings hope, because when it’s done, we can finally play the songs of our heart. The song that speaks to each of us and makes everything okay. If you really listen, you hear another person’s song.

“True friends know the songs of each other’s heart”

~Dove Chocolate~

Even more, I know now that we are able to play these songs when the person forgets them. I played, the song the one song we wrote together;

“Nothing lasts forever, but at least we’ve got today…

Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn’t make this any less great…”

(Together)

Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn’t make this any less great…

Today…”

Everything was going to be okay…

Even if it’s just going to be today…

And in case you were wondering,

It was the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen.