Possible solution to racism

Gavin - greenville, North Carolina

I believe our society as a whole is still fixated on skin tone and racial backgrounds. One of the most simple items that I believe feeds this issue is the application process. On any job application, college application, etc…you have to make it known what your racial background is, in essence putting a label on yourself. This one simple item may designate where and how your information on that document will be reviewed. This also goes towards the ratio or percentage that the business or college has to employ or admit in order for them not to be seen as a discriminating institution.

Take colleges for example, what if you were to eliminate that racial block on the application; Would that in turn also eliminate the ratio that the college has to uphold? If we were to take the racial card out of the argument, would that still bring the racial issue to the table? I think that if we were to eliminate that one piece of information it would also lessen the racial issues we face today. With that being said, the application that the college is now reviewing is of a student, not a white student or black student, but a student to the institution. If the requirements for a college were met and the student was admitted, it would now be very simple for the college to say that the student has met guidelines and requirements and not because they are of a certain racial background. Now the argument can’t be used that there is a racial reason for the student to be turned down.

Different standards have been placed in most agencies and colleges, test scores and educational background are set at a lower level for minorities. This in turn makes it more difficult for a majority to gain employment in some cases. I myself have been turned away from more than one police agency because I was a white male with no college degree even though the requirements only required a high school diploma. However if I were an African American or Latino with the same background I would have no problem gaining employment. Minorities complain because they are minorities, because of how they live, the jobs they have, and what they think is owed to them. I grew up and went to school side by side with friends of all backgrounds and color, went to college with students of all background and color, and served in the Marine Corps, did two tours in Iraq, spent 19 months over seas in Japan, 8 years total service with all kinds of ethical and racial backgrounds. In the end it all comes down to the fact that in our time, we all have the same opportunities in the lives we lead, but we are still labeled by race. So why don’t we take away that label and really start living our lives as the constitution states, that we are all created equal, that we all have the same rights and opportunities. I believe that only then will we be able to begin to start and put our racial differences aside and living as equals.