Bullying Made Me Stronger

Kirsten - Gowrie, Iowa

“Anything can happen, anytime. But what goes wrong is not your fault. You can’t spend the rest of your life tiptoeing around to try and avert disaster. It won’t work. You’ll just end up missing the life you have.” This quote is from the book The Memory Keeper’s Daughter written by Kim Edwards. I read The Memory Keeper’s Daughter this previous summer and this quote stuck out to me so much that I have started to live my life by it. I believe that life is hard work, but you should live your life to the fullest despite the hardships and downfalls that may occur.

The summer before my sophomore year of high school, an extremely popular boy from my high school died in a drunken car accident. The response to his death was phenomenal. The image that was portrayed of him was that of great importance and a role model; the face that I knew what quite different.

After he died I started talking to one of my friends about his death and how I was amazed that before that he had never gotten into an accident, as he drank all of the time. My friend, as I no longer call her, turned my words around and passed it along the school that I had said he deserved to die. This amazed me and to this day I still do not understand how this image of me could have happened.

A few weeks after he died I attended a dance, where I was physically and verbally attacked by his sister, his girlfriend, and one other girl. I ended up with a black eye and scratches around my neck from being strangled. My family took the incident to court but nothing other than a two month restraining order and a verbal warning resulted from it.

The following two years of school were, to put it lightly, hell. I was pushed down stairwells, slammed into lockers, verbally harassed in the hallways, and numerous other things. I became so introverted that I would go for days without talking to anyone.

Despite this horrifying incident and two years of my life that I don’t really remember much of, I now have a completely different outlook on life. Since moving away from all of the drama I have found out who I truly am and want to be. I don’t think I will ever forget that incident, but it did help me be the person I am today. I know that if something like that ever happened again, I would not become the introvert and instead I would stand up for myself and fight for what I believe in.

Life has numerous tests and trials, some of which are good but they can also be bad. You have the choice of taking these experiences and letting them drag you down to the point of nonexistence or you can learn from them and grow into the person you want to be.