crossing over

JAVY - ELOY, Arizona
Themes: immigrant

Do u think crossing over is easy? Well actually it’s not people go thru a lot crossing over. I believe it’s not even worth what those people go thru because once they get here it’s not all good like they thought it would be. They go thru more struggles here then they would go thru over in their homeland so I believe it’s not even worth going thru all that trouble.

When my uncle crossed over he had a very hard time, not just here but when he crossed over but crossing over. He would tell me how he would get chased by the “migrant” the border patrol. He would tell me how he would run all day to get away from them. His feet would blister up really bad and would turn red and even bleed at times. He says he would go days without eating because he had to leave his bag behind to get away from the border patrol and not carry any extra weight on him to slow him down. The worst part of it was the blistering heat he would have to put up with. At times it would get so hot he would have want to just go back home, but he knew he had to do this not only for himself but to support his family.

That wasn’t even all of it even after he got here he struggled. Since he wasn’t a U.S citizen he couldn’t get a really good job. So he was forced to work in the fields picking watermelons. He would hate picking watermelons. It would remind him of the things he went thru when he crossed over. Such as the blistering heat, having to hide from the migra because even though he was already here he had to avoid them so he wouldn’t get taken back and have to go thru everything all over again. That was 15 years ago. Now he is a proud U.S citizen and has a very good paying job.

So not everything was good for him crossing the border. But now that he is a U.S citizen he is happy. Now he helps people when they come over and help them find good jobs because he knows of the struggles they go thru. So I believe not everything is good and people still struggle after they get here and cross the border.