Stand Up Against Animal Abuse

Kristin - Newberg, Oregon

Have you ever seen an animal get abused right in front of your eyes? Well I have, and it’s not a pretty sight. It’s something I wish I would have never witnessed. I believe that there should be no abuse against animals; there is already too much pain in the world why make it painful for animals, who do nothing but love you in return.

I was raised a country girl; Ever since I can remember I have been riding horses. My parents taught me to respect horses; “Treat them like I would want to be treated” my mom always told me.

My mom once said “They will do anything you ask of them if you are fair to them, if you love them and respect them.“

I’ve learned through the years that this is true. You may battle with them and bicker back and forth but sooner or later they will understand. When they do understand they listen to whatever you taught them. And want nothing more then to please you.

I experienced a horrible sight at the age of 16. Something that I will always remember happened to me, something so wrong I still to this day feel sad about.

My family and I were up in Vancouver, Washington at a team roping. Of course it was freezing cold in Washington, so I decided not to rope. I went back to my horse trailer to unsaddle my horse, while the rest of my family was still in the arena roping. Our trailer was parked way out in the boondocks, by the other arena that had no side walls just a roof. As I was walking back to the trailer I noticed that someone was riding out there but didn’t think much of it at the time.

When I finally got to my trailer I started to take care of my horse by taking his saddle and bridle off. I then realized there were two people over in the arena next to my trailer; I could only make out a few things that they were saying to each other. I soon recognized the voice of the lady on the horse. Her name was Tanya and she is one of the meanest people around. This lady is so mean that she had her kids taken from her because she abused them so bad. I also had seen her many times beat on her horses for no reason but to prove a point. I did not recognize the other lady who was sitting on the fence talking to Tanya.

I over heard Tanya say “This horse needs good beatings on a daily basis; he is kind of a dink.”

The lady on the fence just nodded in agreement. The horse Tanya was riding was a sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail; he was nothing special to look at but definitely cute. Tanya then started looping the horse around the arena. I could tell the horse was very stressed by the heavy panting and sweating. I could tell he was trying to find a way to escape from Tanya. The gate to the arena was open just enough that a horse could fit through it. The next thing I saw still makes me sad to this day. The horse tried to make a break and dive towards the opening of the gate. The look in this horses eyes I have never seen before, he was so terrified. I knew then and there that this poor horse was in for a beating.

Tanya ripped on his mouth to stop him from running out the gate. Then took her whip and started to whip him on his butt so hard you could hear the gut wrenching crack as it hit him rapidly. I just froze there watching as she beat the horse over and over again. The look in her eyes scared me; all you saw was pure joy. She was basically laughing because she was whipping him so hard. She thought it was hysterical; I couldn’t take it anymore I had to step in.

As I walked up towards the arena Tanya saw me coming but didn’t even stop beating on that poor horse. As I approached the arena Tanya just kept starring at me and smiling at me, continuing to beat on the horse at the same time. By then I was furious, enough was enough. When I reached the arena the only thing I could think of to say just flew out of my mouth.

I said “Tanya stop beating on him, he did nothing wrong.”

Tanya then looked at me with a smile and said “I can do whatever I want he is my horse.”

By then I was so mad that my hands were shaking like crazy and my face was beat red with anger.

I then asked Tanya “Well then why don’t you sell him to me so he does not have to go through with this pain.”

She just laughed at me and said “I would never sell you this horse or any horse, they need manners.”

By then I was yelling at her when I spoke because I was so mad. I told her “Tanya please stop beating him, he is scared to death.”

Then she did something so awful. She took her whip and started beating him over the top of his head. I then realized I had to just walk away, I knew if I kept fighting with her it would just put the horse through more pain. So I did just that, I walked away still in shock at what had just happened.

Have you ever had to walk away from someone or something to save them? Well it’s not easy; I just wanted to save that horse. To this day Tanya gives me the death glare and I give it right back to her. I believe that there should be no abuse against animals. Animals are loving creatures, which were put here to love us unconditionally. So why do people have to abuse them? Guess we will never know.