Everything happens for a reason

Stephanie - 22406, Virginia
Themes: purpose, setbacks

When you commit an action, do you dwell on the past and constantly reason as to why you did such a thing? Or do you accept what you did and move on? Have you ever been so upset you weren’t able to go to one of the biggest parties of the year, only to find out later it was busted? Or have you ever broken up with a significant other, only to find someone even more amazing?

Often times, people don’t realize how unhealthy it is to dwell on the past. People have their whole lives ahead of them and are repeatedly caught battling regrettable events. How difficult is it to move forward? Is it truly that hard to accept the consequences and move on?

One of my own experiences aided in reassuring me as to why I believe you should never regret anything. Two months before my eighteenth birthday, I decided to go out with some friends. Aware of the consequences that could result, I decided to take a drink anyways. Frustrated with myself when the cops came, I took sole responsibility for my careless actions. Back at home I had a seventeen year old sister who looked up to me and my influence on her proved to be great. Looking back on the situation, I agree it was a stupid thing to do, yet at the same time I don’t regret any of it. You may think I’m crazy, but because of my actions, not only did I learn from it, but at the same time my sister did as well. She was able to witness how serious the consequences can be, and her personal views on drinking have changed. I believe because of my experience, my sister and I will be able to make better decisions throughout our lives for the better.

I’m not only talking about how I learn from my own experiences either. I’m sure every single person in this room has done one thing in their life that they have learned from. From learning to slow down from a bad car accident to studying more because of a bad grade, we have all learned from our own mistakes. One of the main ways to learn any important lesson in life is through experience. If you go through life regretting these experiences, you’re not letting yourself learn anything. It’s okay to accept that whatever you did was foolish or wrong or even question yourself as to your intentions in the first place. But don’t sit around wondering how you could have changed the past, because it can’t be done. Today, we are living in the present. So, regret nothing; put your past behind you and move forward. Life goes by too fast to stop and think about, “what if.” And just remember, everything happens for a reason.