Laughter, It Makes You Stronger

Emerita - Arizona City, Arizona

Laughter, It Makes You Stronger

Have youever been depressed at the point where you don’t want to see anyone, and you especially don’t want to listen to anything they have to say? It’s times like these when you start thinking that there’s nothing in the world that can alleviate the pain you hold within. I believe that the best medicine to heal anyone’s unhappiness is laughter. You might be thinking how could laughter possibly heal depression? Well, I think that behind every melancholy situation there is a memory that you can look back at, that will make you laugh.

Two years ago, my grandma was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It was January 16 th , during school hours whenI received a phone call from mymom, “Sweetheart”, she said in a really low but shaky voice. “ Your grandma passed away this morning”. Those words were the most awful words I had ever heard. Iknew that moment was coming butI didn’t think it would be thatsoon. Her cancer had spread to her lungs, which made it hard for her to breathe and caused her death.

My grandma and I had a really close relationship; her death was a big deal to me. She was the one I could talk to about anything. She always listened to what I had to say, and gave me great advice.

I remember we would go to the park and she would talkto me about her childhood years. She wasn’t just my grandmother but she was also my best friend.

I was so devastated everything bothered me. At the end of it all I wanted to do was be alone inmy room. My mother and I would try to console each other we both tried to stay strong. But it would just make things worse. “She’s my role model, and now she’s gone. Why couldn’t someone else replace herdeath”, I mentioned. “ I know, but that’s life, even when you don’t want it to happen. That’s destiny and you can’t change it”, I remember my mom replying.

Finally, the day for the funeral came. I knew Iwouldn’t be able to handle it. It was a very difficult moment for all of the family. Seeing my aunts and my uncle giving their speeches was heartbreaking. When my mother gave hers my sisters and I felt so weak. I think that day has been the worst day of my life. I don’t want tobe put in the same situation, but I know that sooner or later another tragedy will come.

My mom had invited all of our family members to our house after the funeral to have dinner. I remember all of us sitting in the living room with complete silence. All you could hear was the sobbing, and blowing of noses. Everyone looked so downhearted, my mother, aunts, andmy uncle looked like they hadn’t slept in days. I glanced at my mom I and then glanced at my dad. My dad smiled, walked over and sat next to me. “ I’ve never seen her like this, she looks so destroyed”, I whispered. “ She’ll be okay, just give her time”, he responded.

I just sat there and observed everyone. I started wondering what they were thinking about. So Ithought I’d ask my sister, “Remember when we were little and how I really liked clowns, and I told grandma that I didn’t think Santa was real because he wasn’ta clown?” she said. “Yea, and for Christmas she dressed up as ‘Santa Clown’ just so you could think Santa was real”, I replied. “Yea, she even made us dogs with the balloons and tried to do magic. That was so hilarious”, shecommented.

I started to laugh as I remembered. Suddenly, we were all blurting the funny things and hilarious moments we had with our grandma. Just with our laughter and humorous memories the room filled up with joy. It didn’t have thatspiritless vibe it had minutes ago. Yes, we were still upset at the fact that she was no longer in our lives. But we realized crying didn’t do us anygood, it was just affecting us. Laughter is what helped us, by making thisdeath less upsetting.

I was once that depressed and laughter helped me heal my unhappiness. Now, when an unfortunate problem comes up I prefer to think positive. I look at the good situations under all this sadness. I start to think and look back at a funny moment. So remember,Laugh; it will make you stronger.