The power of thought

Precious - Ramona, California

I believe that everyone should think positively no matter what the situation. I believe that if you think positively, then positive things will happen to you. I also believe that if you think negatively, then you will attract negativity. I believe that we control the universe with our thoughts. I believe that no matter what your goals are, you can achieve them through your thoughts and determination. This means that whatever a person desires, they can achieve it through the power of thought. If a person holds high expectations for themselves, then they will achieve those goals. The same goes for a person that has low expectations. I believe that everything is black and white, even your thoughts. All things are good or evil – there is no in between. I believe you have to be specific and clear about what you want from life. A person should not contradict themselves or be counter-productive or they will not be able to achieve their goals. The universe can not determine between negative and positive thoughts, which is why it is important to think positively. This basically means that you become your thoughts. Some people may call this being superstitious, but I just do not like to put negative thoughts out there to create the possibility of something negative coming back to me.

I once told myself that I would not love something so much that I could not live without it. WhenI did that, I also believed that no one loved me. This is probably becauseI had to move away from my grandmother when I was eight years old. She was the only parental figure I had ever known and I had a very difficult time adjusting to life away from her because we had a close relationship. At the point in my life after my grandmother passed away, I believed that I was only loved by the deceased. I thought that the only person that loved me had passed away and I felt abandoned. I experienced those feelings many times in my short lifetime and it made me bitter. I grew up believing and thinking that love doesn’t love anyone but itself. I thought love was selfish and that I had only experienced it so that it could be taken away from me like a punishment.

NowI believe otherwise. About two years ago, I read a book called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and it changed the way I think about things. I used to think evil thoughts; I was negative and talked down to myself. I did not understand that I was only harming myself. I was the sole source of my negative energy, but it took some time to figure this out. I began reading other books including How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life and Think and Grow Rich. They were helpful in changing the way I though about things. Even when I did understand the power of thoughts, I could not change my thought process overnight. I slowly learned to change my thoughts and when I found myself thinking negatively, I quickly changed my thoughts and focused on three positive things. By being conscious of my thoughts and aware of the power of my mind, I am able to change my outlook on life.

My life has changed dramatically since I changed the way I think about things. Seeing the positive in myself has allowed me to open up to others and allow them to get closer to me. Instead of always believing the negative about people, I began to give them a chance until they proved otherwise. I have learned to love and trust people to a degree. I am not talking about the ones I sleep next to, either. I mean love for the ones I relax with on a daily basis and do activities with as simple as watching TV or playing pool. It is difficult for me to explain because it is new to me. Even on the basketball court, I can feel the difference. I have a new love for the game because I am not full of negative energy and anger. I am happy with myself and the people I have surrounded myself with. I still have stress, but it has become a different kind of stress. My everyday purpose is to continually improve myself and I work hard to do that in education, my relationships, and in the game of basketball. Even in my classes, I have found a difference in myself. I am interested in learning and I have realized that I can learn and that doing so is not impossible. I have begun to believe that the power of our thoughts are undiscovered by most individuals and it is up to us to figure it out and apply it to our daily life.