Stop Worrying and Start Living

Mickey - Florence, Arizona

I believe that if you go throughlife worrying all the time, theworld will eat you up. I have gone throughlife being a worry wart, and I have a few stories to tell. These couple stories made me realize that I worried for no apparent reason! The first story is about my problems growing up. The second is on how I made the varsity football squad. Prepare yourself as I sharethem with you!

The worrying started all off when I was a little tyke. I wasn’t alwaysthe cutest or thinnest little kid my age. I used to ask my mom “Momma whenam I going to be skinny?” She said “Mejo you are beautiful the way you are! People love you for who you are sweetheart!” So I took her advice and tried to stop worrying. I started playing basketball and being a lot more active, hoping I would trim down. That didn’t work to well because Istill looked like the same old me!

I got into junior high and I stretched out a lot, but I still had the weight problem! When I was in sixth grade I made the seventh grade basketball team and also helped out the football team once and a while. My next major problem is why girls didn’t like me. Theyall said I was baby face cute. I was upsetbecause all my friends could have a girl, but not good old Mickey! I had the worst luck with girls!

So I figured, once I lose the weight, the sooner I would have a lady. So I started to push myself to the limit and played every sport my seventh and eighth grade year. Out of all the sports I played I picked only one out. Football was the one, it was my passion. I always remember my coach preaching to me “ Mickey you have so much talent and potential, don’t let it go to waste!!!” That gave me the drive and motivation to push myself harder. Football trimmed me down also, so the harderI worked my body the more weight I lost!

Ifinally took my coaches advice and lifted weights and ran all summer long. I turned into a machine and hada big heart. I was a workhorse! It wasn’t even my freshman year yet and I was alreadytraining hard for it! I trained with all the juniors and seniors and they were pretty impressed with my work ethic! Varsity was so close that I couldtaste it!

The moment I have been waiting for was here, the first day of two-a-days! Istepped out of the truck and smelled mosquito repellant and fresh cut grass in the air. I busted my butt all week and worked my body so hard that I would throw up after practice. MyCoaching staff was pretty amazed with me. After the week of all the pride and glory was over coach split up all the talent into varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. I was picked for junior varsity and was so upset and worried, but I wasn’t done trying! Ipracticed with so much anger that I demolished people every day. Finally our first game, and I shined likea star! The next day was Varsity’s first game, and I couldn’t wait to see what life had in store for me!!! I was so worried!

Friday morning, the smell of blood, sweat, and fresh cut grass filledmy lungs. I’m excited and worried crazy about getting a jersey. I worked so hard, andI still was not on the Varsity squad. I walk into the busy halls of Florence High School, turn the corner and there I see Justin Simon andDevon Torres wearing a varsity jersey. They were like two times smaller than me, so I didn’t understand! I was so madI wanted to lay them both out. I asked myself “ I worked just as hard as those two, and yet I’m still not on Varsity?” I was frustrated about to blow up walking into the weight room. I just walked straight into the weight room and did work. I was a loose cannon getting ready to snap.

About halfway through my workout, Mr Crymble gets a phone call. There are all kinds of thoughts going through my wild head! SuddenlyI heard “Yeah, I’ll send him over.” I turn around and Crymble says “go over to Coach Cluff’s room he has something for you.” I sprinted over there in shock. There he had three jerseys laid out for me tochoose from. They were numbers 62, 72, and54. I picked up fifty four and it felt so powerful in my hands, that I took it.

Lateron that night I was suiting up,shaking my leg anxiously to play. Finally we brought it in, and went out for pregame. The sound of the crowd cheeringand cleats clacking, sent a very cold chill down my back. I ended up only making second string, but I did it. I have been a starting captain for three years in a row.

In my conclusion I have realized I worried for no reson. I ended up loosing my weight, matured, and have been a four year player. I have a wordof advice, stop worrying and start living! If you worry you cut your laughin half. Just be happy and live life!