Legally in love

Logan - Casa Grande, Arizona
Themes: family, love

I believe that people should not get married. To me, marriage is an un natural institution. The idea of making a Legal promise to be in love with one person for the rest of your life is a strange notion. If you are lucky enough to find someone you genuinely care about and feel love towards, why must you involve the government? I believe people are too eager to define things and place labels on people and lifestyles. To me, love should be left alone to embrace and enjoy without making it official. I think it’s so much more amazing and special when two people choose to be together every day, instead of being legally obligated to. It’s more of a testament to what love is supposed to be.

My mother has had two great loves in her lifetime. Years ago, she found solidarity with a man who brought out a passionate deeper side of her. She felt as though all those cliché stories and impossible romantic fairytales we grow up with were tangible. Sometime later, they became engaged. A few weeks later, she came home early from work and found the man she loves with another woman. He stated the idea of “forever” scared him too much. It dissolved quickly after. She was left bitter towards men for years. Eventually, she met and married another man. After three short years, they divorced. Again, she wanted little to do with men. Six years ago, she met Steve. She tells me she still gets butterflies in her stomach when she sees him. She said from their first date, she knew she was supposed to spend the rest of her life with him. These days, they are truly in love and have absolutely no plans to be married, because they are happy with each other and share something special that doesn’t need to be meddled with by a contract and a tax break.

I have many firm opinions as to why the idea of marriage is a silly one. Maybe it works for some people and that’s great. The matrimonial urges may manifest themselves within me someday, but from where I stand now, I don’t believe I could ever commit to anything so definite that offends me so. To me marriage taints the purity of affection and the spiritual connection of it all. To me marriage is insulting to love. I believe in celebrating love and declaring it to the world. No two people share the exact same affection as another two. To me, the conformity of marriage defeats the beauty behind that. I think that the way you live your life in love should be just as unique as the love itself.