MMORPG’s

Tony - Sterling, Illinois

Chatting in game with friends to questing and slaying monsters across the many worlds of massive multiplayer online role playing games (mmorpg’s), I find myself logging on many hours. People may say I have no life. However, it’s more like having two lives than none at all. My life mostly consists of school and work, but in my free time I am logged into mmorpg’s. This is where I have fun leveling characters, questing with friends, and slaying monsters.

Not everyone wants to grow up to be a doctor, scientist, or an engineer. There are some that just want to live in a world of magic where anything good or bad can happen and you always have the potential to be a hero, or villain for that matter. I believe that it’s ok to come home from work or school and drop any problems that were on your mind and be engulfed by a fantasy world where everything is stress free.

For example, when I get home from work I’m beat. Generally the first thing I do is log on. As soon as I press enter on the keyboard I am no longer Tony DeVaughn from Sterling, IL. I have become Kimari, the druid from Telradessil. At this point I no longer worry about anything that went wrong during the day. I am just simply having fun exploring an entirely new environment.

Some people refer to these games and lifestyles as unhealthy and addicting. As true as that may be, it all depends on the player. For the unhealthy part, yes it can be very unhealthy if all you do is eat, sleep, and sit at your computer all day. To those who say that mmorpg’s are addictive and can actually ruin people’s social lives, the problem can be solved with moderation. The reason that these types of games are so addicting is because of the rewards systems that have been incorporated into them.

In life most find that not everything you do will be rewarded, and in fact you can be hurt from your actions very easily. However, your actions in these games are always presenting you with something: be it honor, gold, reputation, or various items. These rewards give the player a sense of accomplishment and a feeling of being respected and worth more than just a normal everyday person.

All in all I learn from these games and enjoy myself as I play them. I believe that as long as these games are being made, millions of people across the world will continue to be pleased with themselves and actually enjoy life more often. I believe in a stress-free world filled with self-satisfaction, that’s why I believe in mmorpg’s.