Give and Receive

Beccah - Morrison, Illinois

Seeing my sister in the operating room scared me. She laid on the table as nurses prepped her for surgery. I was well aware of what was going on. I wanted to help her.

My sister, Brittany, is my best friend. Growing up, we had our fights, but wherever my sister went, I followed. Brittany was the cool one with the perfect long brown hair and gorgeous sky-blue eyes. But you didn’t see her biggest problem. Brittany was born with asthma. She couldn’t run and play without going into an attack. We usually played with Barbies on the sidewalk outside.

One time, we came running inside and Brittany started breathing hard. She panicked. Helpless, she stared at me and I just stood there. Realization hit me and I tried to calm my sister. My mom came running in and rushed her to the car. We sped to the closest hospital. Although only 15 minutes away, it seemed to take forever.

The nurse wheeled Brittany into an emergency room. They hooked her up to an IV and a few other cords and she was stabilized within minutes. The doctor told us that her throat closed up and didn’t get enough oxygen to her brain so she nearly passed-out. My mother’s shock came out in tears.

It wasn’t much longer after that when we learned that my sister had a growing cyst located on the front of her throat. My sister would have an operation to remove the cyst. I was scared I would lose my sister, my best friend.

The first operation was unsuccessful. We noticed the cyst growing back about five months later. They had to go in a second time. About six years later, the cyst came back for a third time. Three surgeries later, my sister finally has the whole cyst removed. Although I never really got to help my sister, I do have the choice to help others.

Because I couldn’t help my sister, I want to help other people. I want to become a registered nurse. I am currently working as a CNA in a nursing home. I enjoy giving quality to someone’s life.

During work, a resident asked where she lived. I walked her down a couple halls into a room. Her eyes lit up as she saw the things she recognized. When I sincerely help someone out of nothing but the kindness of my heart, I receive the best gift of all: happiness.

I think that we should be willing to help people in need. If we have the skills then we should use them to the best of our ability. I believe if we don’t have the skills then we should all acquire them.