What is the Value of Your Family?

Jonathan - Prophetstown, Illinois

My family has taught me everything from how to walk to how to tie my shoes. My immediate family is small, but my extended family is huge and just as close. My family reunion is held on the second Sunday in August. We have an average turn out of about 100 people and I know almost all of them by name. My family is my only concern; I love them all and will miss all of them.

When my Grandpa Hepner died, I missed him so much that in fifth grade I missed an entire week of school because I was grieving. My Grandpa Hepner taught me a lot of things: how to fish, how to tie my shoes, and, most of all, how to behave. He will always be my inspiration on how to teach my family and I hope he would be happy with how I turned out. I am following my dream of becoming a chef and furthering my education.

I have no aunt or uncles on my mom’s side, but six on my dad’s. My Uncle Chuck is probably the uncle I know best; he has helped us over the years and always been a great inspiration, too. We go out to his place in the summer and work on his ancient tractors and restore them. He collects Allis-Chalmers tractors, but only the old ones. The last tractor we restored with him was an Allis-Chalmers RC and he had had the frame for almost six years before he finally found an original gas tank to go on it. My Aunt Cheri, Chuck’s wife, is the one who got me into cooking homemade things. I lived with them for about three mouths and was a bit of a problem child. The first mouth I was still a handful but was getting better. In the second mouth my aunt started to teach me new things like cooking and baking. By the end of the third I figured out what I “wanted to be” and that was a Master Chef.

I have so much family that all I can say is that have all been a inspiration in some way. They are the ones who I should look up to and treasure for their opinion even if they aren’t my favorite relative.