Motivation for the Generation

Nicolas - Sterling, Illinois

I found myself confused, scared, and lost two and half years ago when I approached a life-changing experience. I lost my grandmother to a crippling disease, and, two and half months later, I lost my friend and teacher to leukemia. For the first time in my life, I was afraid to admit I didn’t know who I was. I found myself praying for a change and a new life; I was answered by God. I am proud to say today I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and it is the most important life decision I have ever made. If I ever thought that accomplishing anything I wanted in life wasn’t reachable and seemed impossible, I lead myself in seeing rather than believing. I say if you believe, you certainly will achieve; you want to pursue a goal with a passion like no other, there isn’t anything stopping you!

My best friend taught me to open my eyes fully; to look deep inside of something, beyond the cracks to find meaning and inner beauty from within; to follow what my heart was convincing me to do. As college students, we are constantly evolving into the new generation, changing our major once, even twice. We have responsibilities which collide with our decision making, affecting our lives in some way shape or form. As a religious individual, I’ve come to realize that if I can dream it, and see myself achieving it; I’m already half way towards making that dream a reality. I have dreams, passions, and careers I would love to do for an entire lifetime, I say why not? What is stopping me from making those appropriate changes starting tomorrow? The answer is nothing; it’s within me to take that first step towards making that one specific change in my life. I’m fortunate to say I realized what I was doing wrong early on in my life, and I made the action to change for the best and for the first time, I’m truly happy. I’ve committed myself to the hardships and the realization that whatever my interest is, it will take time and patience, eventually finding myself achieving more in life than ever imagined. Although I lost two of the most inspiring people who meant the world to me, they are the reason who I am today. I do believe what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. During these times of new beginnings and surroundings I say to my fellow college students: don’t give up by all means, follow your inner instincts and say yes to change and to a better life.