Being Sure

Michael - Fulton, Illinois

Have you ever had something expected of you that you aren’t really sure you can do? Ever since high school I’ve been told I need to make up my mind about what I wanted to be when I grow up. I believe in being sure of myself. This can help me succeed a lot faster. Being sure can make me more prepared for the future.

In high school I got talks about career planning. Some careers I was interested in were being a cop or a farmer. In these classes I had tests that would show me a career that might interest me, but it didn’t. With two years left to decide, I ignored the subject.

I got some more talks the next year in high school with one test that helped me in choosing a career. It pointed me in the direction of law enforcement. With other career choices in mind, I still wasn’t sure what I wanted to do.

The final year of high school was pressuring me to start being sure of myself. So I stopped and thought about it and realized I would be happier being a cop. What helped me decide was when I’m a cop I get to help people and I know it will be a challenge and I like that. After thinking about it for several years I am sure I want to be a cop.

Now I am prepared for the future, I won’t fall behind, because I am sure. I have a friend who wasn’t sure where he wanted to go college or what to chose for a major. He didn’t apply anywhere so now he fell behind everyone else. Since I made myself sure I am prepared and I can concentrate on a future in law enforcement.

Now because I was sure I am enrolled at Sauk getting an Associate’s degree for criminal justice. Since I was sure, I will be a cop by the time I am twenty-one and start making money doing something I will enjoy. Being sure of me is the best thing I could do to prepare me for the future.