Come Be Sociable

Emilio - Dixon, Illinois

As I look back on the narrow path of my life, I ask myself, “Why am I here? How did I get here? And most of all, what is most important in my life?” Weekly, I see the answer right there in front of my eyes. To most, they seem like normal, plain people. However, to me they are my superheroes: the people I aspire to be. My Grandparents taught me values like being respectful, being responsible and not letting obstacles stop me from being somebody. Most of all, they taught me that being there makes all the difference.

My grandma suffered an aneurism, right before I was born. She was lucky to be alive. God knew she would make the world a better place. It left her speechless, in a wheel chair, and paralyzed. Although it is tough, she can now walk on her own.

When I was one, I nearly drowned. My superheroes felt my mom was irresponsible, so I began to live with them. Before I knew it, my grandma was talking. She did not allow her limitations to stop her. It is as if she knew she had to be strong and stay alive to take care of her grand baby. Just knowing that is the best feeling in the world.

My superheroes are always in my thoughts. I believe the biggest lesson they taught me was just being there makes all the difference. They called it being sociable. I never fully understood what that word meant. Now I know “sociable” to mean simply companionship. It was the most important principle they taught me. I cannot imagine how different I would be today if I did not live with my superheroes. I understand that they will not always be there in person, but the lessons they taught me will remain with me for the rest of my life. Every time I think about my superheroes, it brings a tear to my eye. Every time I see my superheroes, I remember a gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile, can accomplish miracles.