The Strong Family

Quentin - Dixon, Illinois

My Strong Family

My family is made up of six children: Adam, Coral, Grace, Darren, Keenan and me. I have had the honor of learning from my family. I believe there is power in the word family. I think that we are given chances in life to show love and compassion to family members, and I believe that a family can help a person through any event.

Keenan is my older brother and I’ve always looked up to him for that; we are close in age and have similar likes. Those likes include likes in friends. When we lived in Chariton, Iowa, we met a pair of brothers: Cody and Grant Trembly. They were very similar to us in what they liked to do and how they were protective of one another. After we moved to Dixon, Illinois, Cody passed away. He had was hit by a car and passed away later in the day. Mom and Dad took us aside to tell us the news. I remember how my family was willing to do anything to help. I believe it was their strength that helped get me through that event.

Mom has always been an optimistic person, trying to always look on the brighter side of things. She has represented a strong-willed and a compassionate figure in my life. She has done her best to instill that in each of her children. When I was in 8th grade, my dad was diagnosed with cancer; it devastated my family. He passed away January 6, 2004 at the hospital. My mom took me aside and confided in me about how hard this journey would be, but if we walked together, believed in each other, and were supportive, that we’d make it.

Webster’s Dictionary has many definitions for a family, but my personal favorite is “A group of persons who form a household, under one head.” It seems rather general but when I put it to my own life, I think of “us:” a family who has pursued many dreams, persevered through many traumatic incidences, and yet has continued just the same.