Andrew - Dixon, Illinois

In my life, I live to strengthen bonds already formed between myself and my family, friends, and future friends. I wish to fortify these bonds so that they will help me as I run through the course of life. Siblings can be the best tool to success. They help you live for what is right rather than what is easy or profitable. They can hold some of the most valuable advice. When my brother asks me a question on his life I always try to give him the best answer possible, even if it isn’t what he wants to hear. When he has something to tell me, I listen.

For me, true happiness entails having friends to share it with. They can help in ways that even brothers or sisters can’t. People need someone that they can tell secrets to, we need to get things out of our system, and sometimes family can’t always be there. Nothing is more helpful than someone who you can relate to that is going though the same thing as you are. When I was applying for my first job my friends encouraged me to stick it out until I finally got hired at what is for now my dream job. I work at Ace Hardware and I get to go to a job that I actually enjoy. I don’t know of many sixteen year-olds who enjoys what they are doing already.

My parents have helped me most of all. They defend me from the bad and encourage the good even if it is not much. It sometimes reminds me of voting and that even though it might not make a difference everyone should still participate, because it still affects all of us. My dad sacrifices his Sunday afternoons to play hockey with me in DeKalb even though he is 49 years old and shouldn’t be playing at all. His sacrifices help our relationship grow to more than just two people living together; I think that it has become one of the rare, life-long bonds that I have been looking for. My mother has provided me with multiple learning opportunities. She has been a great role model and has worked with me on school work. Family and friends have helped for me to become the person that I am today and I hope that they will continue to help form and guide me through the rest of my life.