Happiness

Mike - Lexington, Kentucky

I believe that happiness is what you make it. You can be considered one of the most popular and liked persons but still not be happy with yourself. This belief first came to me at a time when I wasnt feeling so good about myself. I couldnt seem to get a girlfriend, I wasnt doing well in soccer, and my grades werent the best. I would see my friends and think man it seems like everything is going right for them and think they had to be happy. Then one of my friends in particular, who I thought had it all, told me one night how unhappy he was and how he would love to be able to start over and not make some of the same mistakes he had made. This got me to thinking if he isnt happy then theres gotta be some reason why. I then realized that you can have it all in life and still not be happy. You need to look at all of the good things in your life and think about those things and not get hung up on things that you arent happy about. We are all blessed in some ways and you should count your blessings. I began to see that i had some of the best friends you could ask for, a great family, and everything is constantly changing in life. Ive seen this play out in the media as well. For instance take Vince Young who won a national title at Texas and is now a starting quarterback in the NFL. You would think he would be one of the happiest men alive but just recently in news reports he apparently had thoughts of suicide. Another example would be Heath Ledger who was an A list actor and recently starred in Batman The Dark Knight. He seemed like the type of guy that had it all, good looks, fame, and money but he killed himself by overdosing on medicine. These people had many great things in their life and if they would stop and focus on all these great things then i think they would be able to see past the things that are bothering them. Happiness is what you make it, you can either look at all of the good things in your life, or focus on the bad things. It is all up to you.