Spare the rod, Spoil the child

Alec - Georgetown, Kentucky

What happens when a child is given nothing but praise for the things he or she does? According to theory, they grow up very emotional intact. Wrong! There was a girl who has never been disciplined and only received praise. Well, now as a senior in high school, she is very disrespectful and very bad mannered. One day after school she yelled at her mom for giving her twenty dollars instead of thirty. My sister tried to pull that and before she could get the words out of her mouth my mom slapped them right back in. Since that moment, my sister has had great manners. On the other hand, the first girl is still very disrespectful. That story strongly backs up the old proverb that I firmly believe, “spare the rod, and spoil the child.”

As we see from the stories above, the kid that was disciplined physically learned manners and respect, while the kid that wasn’t physically disciplined, is a brat. Since examples show moral standards more clearly and better than just merely saying what’s right and wrong, I will tell you my story of how I learned that there is a time and place for everything, not to lie, and to accept responsibilities.

One day when I was just eight, my sister and I were playing Frisbee in the house. She missed a catch and it knocked over a vase which shattered on the floor. We just swept the shards of glass under the rug and watched television till my dad came home. When he got home he asked how our day was and then he stepped on the rug and we all heard the crunching of glass. When the first sound of the glass was heard, I took off running to my room. I slammed the door and threw myself under the bed. Next thing I know, the door opens so violently that it sounded like the fury of God was raining down upon this eight year old boy. I hear footsteps and then the clicking of a belt coming undone. Then all of a sudden my calves are whipped three times. Turns out, the bottom of my legs where sticking out from under the bed. My dad pulls me out and asks what happened. I told him it was my sister, and then very quietly he takes his pocket knife out and tells me to go cut my switch. I follow instructions as told. After I come back I get another whip to the calf. The terrible choice words of damn dad came out and then another two whips came. After all that I learned three vital things. I believe that if I hadn’t got whipped I would have taken that lightly.

It is very important to teach your kids a lesson at the moment it happens. I always remembered the times I was whipped and not really anytime I was put in timeout. Spare the rod, spoil the child!