I believe that education plays an important role in people lives, especially mine. Having an education is like drinking a glass of water. You need water to survive. Hence, you need an education to make it in life, because without it you don’t have anything. You will not go far without it; I’m a prime example. I can’t get a good paying job; I don’t have a job. This is when education comes into play. At the age of sixteen, I dropped out of school and was living with my cousin.

I thought I had the answer to everything. I didn’t, because little did I know that I needed my education to survive. As I got older, I moved in with my kid’s father and had three kids. I didn’t have to work because back in those days, I was taught that a man’s job was to take care of the woman. Her job was to stay at home and take care of the kids. That’s what I did.

Later in life, we decided to get our GED’s. I achieve my goal and was very proud of my accomplishment, but it still wasn’t enough for me. I always wanted to be an English teacher or an engineer, but how could that be, if I didn’t have the proper English or Math skills? I made a poor choice in life that landed me in the position that I am in. As a child, I didn’t understand why my mother was telling me to stay in school. I didn’t care if I got an education.

As years went by, I decided that I wanted to go to go to college. After going for some time, I realized that striving for my dream was like reaching for a star, it seem so close to me but yet so far. Every time I tried to grasp it, I couldn’t. Keeping up was hard to do, so I dropped out.

For years my education was put on hold. After working so many jobs with low paying rates, I decided that I had enough. At that moment, I made myself a promise to go back to school, get my degree and set an example for my kids. I want them to see that with an education, you can accomplish you goals in life.

Hopefully, they would want to follow in my footsteps and accomplish their dreams/goal etc. My reason for going back to college is to show my kids that if I can do it, so can you. That’s why I chose to go back to college, to further my career.