Carson’s Credo

Blake - Ashton, Illinois

Carson’s Credo

When I was raised by my parents, I was raised to believe in the Catholic Church. I may disagree with the Church at times, but I will still raise my kids up under the Catholic Church. The reasons I’m doing that is because as much as I disagree with some of the Church’s beliefs, I am who I am today because I had those teachings to give me a strong religious faith. I am an example of someone who is not a true practicing Catholic. The Catholic Church believes that having sex before marriage is a sin; I believe otherwise.

Unlike the Church, I believe in using forms of birth control; this includes the form of pills, condom, or other safe sex practices. They don’t realize that using forms of birth control will help prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancies. A lot of my friends have had sexual relations. I do know three girls that have gotten pregnant. Two fathers are in jail now for criminal actions. A girl ended up pregnant because she used no birth control and had no intentions of having a child at her age. Her mother blamed herself for it, because her daughter wasn’t on the pill. This family is Catholic and they agree with society that some birth control should be used during sex.

The Church doesn’t believe in birth control because no one should have sex until they are married, and once they’re married, they shouldn’t avoid having kids. These beliefs are why people don’t understand the Catholic Church.

Society tells us it is ok to use birth control and have premarital sex. I feel if people want to have premarital sex then they should take responsibility for their actions. The two teens that had a child are taking responsibility for it. They loved each other and decided to have sex based on that.

My girlfriend and I have talked about having sex, and decided were not ready. Both of us are Catholic, and agree that we will practice safe sex. We are not at the same level as my friends with a baby, but we have all the time in the world to get to that point and go beyond it. Seeing what happened to my family made me realize birth control is ok. My older sister recently told me about how I had lost two nieces or nephews. This is a shock to me because I’ve always known my sister to practice safe sex. This shows me that you can never be fully safe when having premarital sex. I’m ok with premarital sex because I understand what can happen, and I’m willing to take responsibility for my actions.