EVerything Will Turn Out Perfectly

Cynthia - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I believe that everything will turn out perfectly.

Some people tell me that I don’t live in the real world, but I ask them: Who decides what the real world is? I believe that my world is as real as anyone else’s and in this world, everything will turn out perfectly.

If you trace the word perfect to its Latin roots, you find that it comes apart like this: per – which means through and facere – to make or to do. So to have things turn out perfectly doesn’t mean they have no flaws, or that they are what I want them to be, but that they are done thoroughly.

I try to live each day of this life thoroughly. When I wake in the morning I ask for the grace to live every moment to perfection, that is, not missing anything that would draw me more deeply into goodness or compassion or into my own potential. I give the day my all, and I find it gives me back perfection. Even if I miss a moment of its glory, the day is still being done to perfection, the way it should be, and if I am paying attention I know that by the end of the day.

I cherish the moments of breakthrough hope and I stop to worry over the moments when things look bleak. My heart hangs down with people who are suffering, and it lifts up with those who are finally making it through. I watch for signs of the perfection which mean that we are all paying attention, being responsible for the privilege of being alive, and that we are determined to make the world better, perfect.

I believe that all this thorough living will take us more deeply into the heart of God who initiated life and keeps it going. God is the most thorough one of all, not leaving us for a moment, not missing a hair on our heads. If we could only see the world and each other as God sees, then we could have full confidence that it will all turn out perfectly.