Life Changing Commitments

Donnie - Dixon, Illinois

Life Changing Commitment

I believe that commitments are very important, but at the same time they can be life changing. The agreement to go to college is one of the biggest agreements that you could ever make with your parents. I know because that’s a promise that I made to my parents. Having two older brothers, I experienced seeing my parents being crushed. Making their minds up early that they were going to college, my brothers then later told my parents that they weren’t and my parents were just hurt. My parents made a promise to me that for 18 years they would take care of me and get me on the right track, so I feel I need stick to a commitment that I made with them. They know that without a degree that I would have to settle for a minimum wage job, but with a degree I would be able to take care of myself.

I found out that not staying true to my parents was not the brightest thing to do. Bad grades meant bad consequences. I remember as a 6th grader coming home after an ordinary school day being questioned by my pops, “why did your teacher call home today and tell me that your assignment wasn’t done”? I got beat and put on punishment for three weeks. But in those three weeks I gained a lot of respect for my parents; they weren’t doing this to punish me, they were doing it to teach me a lesson and make me a better person. Children growing up break a lot of promises but once you get into high school your parents don’t expect to be lied to. I messed up a little bit in high school but I concentrated on graduating and making my parents happy. I had it set in my mind that no one was going to stop me from finishing school. Trust me; the road that leads to college is the best way to go.

After I graduated high school I realized that I had more confidence in myself and it also made my parents respect me more. After high school is where most people stop school but for me no college was not an option. My first semester in college went great and everything was good, until a certain situation happened in my life and changed everything. The summer after my freshman year I became a father. Trying to be a good father and also do well in school is going to be challenging. I will make a promise to my daughter that I will take care of her for 18 years, so therefore I want her to make a commitment to me that when she gets older she will finish school just like her father did.