What I’ve Come to Realize

Corrine - Dixon, Illinois

I believe in what I call the Torres religion, a religion I named after myself, because there is no such religion for what I believe. Growing up, it felt like my parents were forcing me to go to church and I began to hate going. I realized that there were people who had different beliefs than mine, and with an open mind, I decided that everyone was entitled to their own “opinion.” I understand that parts of each religion have their validity and there are positive qualities to many, however I don’t believe in the hypocrisy I’ve seen in many of today’s Christians.

I believe that God exists and that Jesus was sent to save us from our sins. I believe that faith is an important part of a person’s life. I feel that as long as I keep God close to me, he will keep me close to him. I believe that there is a heaven as well as a hell, however people confuse me with their judgments of others, considering God is the only one able to truly judge someone’s outcome. Because of all the different interpretations of each religion and the different morals taught by parents; it’s hard to know whether I’m living right by God. I don’t believe that someone’s faith can be determined by how often they go to church. It’s not about proclaiming to the world that I have faith. One great thing about the God I have grown to love is that no matter what happens, he will pick me back up if I let him. I believe that to be considered a good person; someone should always be honest and considerate of others and never wonder what’s in it for them in the end.

Overall, there is no right or wrong answer on beliefs. I believe that no one should be judged because they don’t have conformed beliefs and they shouldn’t have to change who they are to make everyone else happy. Beliefs and religions are left open for everyone to choose what they want to believe without question of who is right or wrong.