Treasure

Allura - Little Silver, New Jersey

For me, college has been an incredible experience. I didn’t know what to expect when I got here, and it’s been full of ups and downs. However, I would say the most important thing I’ve discovered since I’ve been here, is how important my family is to me. I believe in my family. I believe in the support that they give and the love they show me. I know that they will be there for me through every smart and dumb decision I make. Ever since I was little, they have been showing me unconditional love. This love is something that will never get any smaller and never be taken for granted.

Each person in my family contributes something that has made me who I am today. My mom has shown me from the very beginning how to be a caring individual. She has showed me, through example, how to be the best person I can be. She has always been and will continue to be the person I can call anytime for advice or just someone to talk to. She will always be there for me; no matter how big or small my problem seems, no matter what mood she is in, or how much stuff she has to do. This is something that I know will never change. My dad has also helped develop me into the person I am today. He is a jokester. He knows exactly what to say to make me laugh. He can make me smile at any point in the day and has been the person who has shaped my sense of humor. He has made me a more confident and outgoing person. My dad has taught me how to communicate with people and laugh at life. My older brother has also been a critical person in my life. I have spent my whole life looking up to him and trying to follow in his footsteps. He’s the person who I can count on to keep me entertained, teach me new things, and keep me out of trouble. Surprisingly, he has been the most influential on my life. We have the best relationship of all. From when I was little and I would try to mimic whatever he was doing, to now when I call him for help with my classes or my friends. He has really helped me explore things I love to do and keep an open mind about trying new things. My brother, as well as everyone else in my family has encouraged me and supported me in everything I do.

Each person in my family has made such an impact on me. That is why I thought that college was going to be a scary change in my life. I was worried that this separation from my family would drag me down. I just kept thinking about how far away I would be from them. But since I have been here, I’ve discovered that this separation has only made me stronger and allowed me to appreciate the love that I have for them, and the love that they have for me. Between care packages and little notes I receive in the mail, to dumb forwards that my dad insists on sending me, we stay in touch and keep the love just as strong as it has ever been. Love, respect, and encouragement are values that hold true within my family. Not only are we incredibly supportive but also we are extremely close to one another. My family is always there for me and its something I treasure. I truly believe that my family is the most important thing in my life and I know that that is something that will never change.