Deus ex Machina

Killian - sterling, Illinois

Deus Ex Machina

I believe what comes around goes around, also known as “Karma.” Karma is defined by as “good or bad emotions felt to be generated by someone or something.”

One Friday in high school, I didn’t have time to study for a test, so I decided to cheat. I don’t normally cheat, but I needed to keep my grade up. Below our tables were cubby holes where I kept a paper with equations. I was nervous every time I looked at the paper, but I was never caught. The weekend came and went, and then came Monday. Our teacher passed back the tests to everyone, but Kayla and myself. I knew what had happened. After the final bell, our teacher called Kayla and me to her desk. She told us “You know how I feel about cheating. I don’t know who copied who, but I am disappointed in both of you.” Copied? Kayla copied my test, the test I cheated on, and got us both caught. That’s Karma.

“Take life with a grain of salt,” was a phrase I heard from my mother growing up. I never understood it until I understood Karma. “Take life with a grain of salt” means, with every optimistic view, there is a pessimistic one, and with every up there’s a down.

Back in high school, there was a physics field trip and to go you could pay the seventy dollars or sell candy to make the difference. I sold the candy, because I was broke. I worked for weeks trying to sell before and after school, between classes, and even skipping my welding class from time to time. I reached my goal and I went on the trip, but the grain of salt was that I missed a welding test that lowered my grade. It was a bitter sweet ending to an amazing trip. That’s Karma.

Karma is based on “action” and “reaction”. If you speed, you get a ticket, or if you have enough sales at work, you would be rewarded. I do not see the reaction as a cause of what you did; it’s how you did it. Did you cut someone off, or almost hit them? Did you give the customer the best price, or did you screw them over? What was your state of Karma?

My title, Deus Ex Machina, is Latin for “god from the machine” and means “any improbable device resolving the difficulties of the plot.” Karma is the improbable device that resolves the difficulties in life. Karma is also fate. By doing things the way we do, paths are set that our lives will go down. I believe in Karma.