Josh - Idaho Falls, Idaho

“I have a brain-hurting calculus assignment due tomorrow and I don’t know where to start,” I said many times.

“My senior thesis is driving me crazy,” I said as I pulled out a piece of college-ruled paper to start over for the fifth time.

“We’re going to have an extra long baseball practice in order to prepare us for the big game against Skyline,” said happily the twenty-year-old Idaho Falls High School baseball coach, John Bridges as, the same night all of my teachers had left me hours of homework.

We all live in a demanding world. We have faced many problems and trails every day of our lives. Some seem overwhelming and out of reach. We have been given many God-like qualities and attributes to help us succeed in this life. We all have been given the special ability to work hard, succeed on our own, and endure to the end. I believe in diligence.

High school was a hard and demanding time in my life. I knew I was a good student with many talents but I always wanted to do better. Excellence was what I strived for. Every home work assignment I did in order to succeed. I took advantage of extra credit opportunities to cover all of the mistakes I made keeping my grades from falling too low. Receiving straight A’s was what I desired most in my 5A high school.

Into my senior year I had done it. One year was all that I had left. All of the hard work was starting to boost my self-esteem and give me courage. I knew I could do it and I would do it. Nothing would stop me. It was not that easy. I took two time consuming AP classes along with a few other demanding classes. My class schedule was never more difficult. That fall I was called to direct all home coming activities for my school. What an exciting experience!

“There is not enough time in the day and even less time to study,” I repeated to myself.

Day after day I went to school and the rest of the day was followed by racing to place to place in preparation for the long awaited events. Daily I tried to keep up with my academics. My parents, Mike and Kathy, have always told me I could do anything and inspired me to do so. I believed them. Onward I pressed and what a success!

During my senior year I felt it would not be possible to achieve my dreams. Many times I came close to failing. I may not be the person with the most knowledge and intelligence but through the indispensable attribute diligence I was able to achieve my high school dream. Truly, diligence is what I believe.