I Believe in Laughing

Rachel - Upland, California

“I believe in laughing”

I believe there is a significant point in life where you can choose to laugh or cry. I choose and will always choose to laugh. Life has not always been simple I have many regrets, but I try not to focus on them anymore. As I reflect back on my life as a small child, I realize that I was often in tears or in contention with someone at home. When my father scolded me I often went into tears and secluded myself leaving me miserable. I have three sisters and two brothers and attention was not always common though my parents tried their best to make sure each one of us felt loved. Eventually, I realized, after a fight that had just ended between one of my older sisters and I, that I was in charge of me and that if I wanted to change then I was going to have to do something about it because that was not who I wanted to be or how I wanted to feel, an emotional mess. At first I did not know how I could change that aspect of my life. However I started to see friends or family members that seemed to have what I wanted and I knew that the good days and even just moments were when I was laughing and simply happy. So I quickly took the initiative and even though it took some time I was laughing more and more each day. As I started to change I found people were happier around me because I was just simply happy and we seemed to be drawn to each other. It soon became easier for me to make friends and enjoy the time I had with them. Now instead of crying or picking a fight I enjoy jokes and humorous conversation thanks to those people who seemed to just simply enjoy life by passing the time with laughing. I believe in laughing, life is better when I am happy and it is easier to overcome the obstacles for my day to day life. Not every day is the best but they are better and always improving.