Believe and Achieve

Tyson - Beaverton, Oregon

Believe and Achieve

Life gives us purpose. This purpose is to find happiness. I believe that happiness is obtained through daily events that impact the rest of our lives. But I believe that despite any of these events, we can choose whether or not we want to be happy.

When hard times come, I find solace in mere ability of choice. When I was sixteen years old I had a friend of mine pass away. For a number of days I was really down on myself. Life was all about the negatives. After going through this hard time, I began to realize the legacy he left behind. Of course I was sad to lose a friend but that didn’t mean I had to dwell on his death. I just felt blessed for the amount of time I was able to spend with him while he was alive.

Another experience that I have had involves service. Whenever I am in a bad mood, I have noticed that helping others always cheers me up. It causes you to momentarily forget your problems and better the lives of others. It does not matter what trial you are going through, serving others will always make it easier.

I believe we all have a choice. This choice determines our outlook on life. No matter what the different trials we experience are, we can choose our own emotions. As for me, I choose happiness. This is what I believe.