I Believe in Memories

Chad - Iona

I believe in memories. Although many of the experiences we undergo are determined as randomly as the cards we draw in a card game, I believe that we establsih many of the memories we accumulate. Just as an artist chooses the hues that will develop into a masterpiece, we paint our own personal perspective and outcome of our lives. I believe that the choice to record our experiences, the attitudes we advance to, and the fashion in which we administer our time are all features that will conjure our self-image.

Most of our experiences will be forgotten if we do not write them down. I believe that it is a noble commandment that we record an account of our experiences. The experiences that my ancestors have relayed have led me to a discovery of potential I would have never believed I carried. Although there have been instances when my diary entries have appeared insignificant, I believe my posterity will be pleased with the entirety of what they receive.

Every experience that we confront can either be observed differently. I believe that any individual can learn or discover a mystery with any experience. Within the first two weeks of my mission preparation class at Brigham Young University-Idaho I have been assigned to read the entire Book of Mormon and increase my understandings therein. The assignment to read and ponder on fourty-five pages each day could seem a burden. My willingness to fulfill the assignment with optimism has given me a new perspective, however. I am comforted with the events and trials in my life. They seem more bearable, and the experience has become more pleasing.

I also believe that memories are treasures that we cannot simply rely on fate to decide. Many times students may proclaim, “I have too much homework to spend time with my family.” My father has always stated, “You will never have time to go fishing until you go fishing.” I believe that in many situations more can be accomplished than what we let ourselves execute. The boulders plastered with the cool crisp icy waters and the golden rise of the sun over the Rocky ridges of the Rocky Mountain Range would be absent from my nostalgic memories with my father. Yet he fulfilled his desire to assist in the creation of my juvenile and skeletal mental structure.

I believe it is our choice to determine the details etched on this pebble, a speck of the majestic mountain of our existence. Our desires may be to leave this life with a sense of fulfillment; I believe it will be through our endurance to record our experiences, our endurance to gain an optimistic outlook, and to endure to experience the impossible. Through these principles I have been able to paint a magnificent picture of my life.