Just Lighten Up!

Jacob - Pikeville, Kentucky

People need to stop taking offense to everything and worrying about the small stuff and start looking for the humor in life. Just to preface: drama creates problems no matter how you look at it, so why don’t people stop over-analyzing every little situation? Well, I have no idea, but in my opinion, it is easy to become an expert at finding the humor in things: just lighten up! The next time you find yourself worrying about the way the guy you accidentally bumped into on the street looked at you, remember these few simple words. After all, laughing is a lot better than worrying. In my opinion, the key to stop worrying would be to start looking for the humor in everything and stop looking for the drama.

Just in case you are one of those people who are having trouble finding everyday things to be funny, let me tell you what I do to find the humor in things. It is actually pretty ridiculous now that I think about it, but if I can inspire someone to stop worrying so much, it will be worth it. Whenever I get bored, I just try to think of the funniest thing I could do at that exact moment, assuming there would be no consequences for me. And when I say “no consequences,” I mean that I would suffer absolutely no repercussions for whatever stupid thing I decide to do. For example, sometimes I find myself in class trying to fall asleep during a boring lecture. And by sometimes I mean A LOT, especially when it comes to boring subjects like sociology and chemistry (sorry if I offended you by saying that—maybe you should stop worrying so much). Anyway, instead of dozing off, I think about the funniest thing I could do to interrupt my professor’s lecture. Keep in mind that when I play this game, there are practically no limits to what I can choose to do to disrupt class in a funny way. After all, it’s my daydream, right? Just to list a few examples of things I have decided to do before: throw a cheeseburger at the chalkboard while my professor was writing on it (I am talking an entire cheeseburger…patty, buns, and everything), stand up and yell the first “boy-band” song that pops in my head while inserting my professor’s name into the song as much as possible, and crowd surf on the hands of the other students in class. These are just a few examples to spark your own personal creativity. If you do not think they are funny, it is really not a big deal. I honestly do not get offended easy, mainly because I think that is the best way to live. You should try it sometime.